Experience Duluth, Minnesota, in a whole new light by choosing to stay in one of its unique accommodations.
This article will guide you through a variety of options that go beyond the usual hotel or motel. Imagine drifting to sleep on a luxurious houseboat with the city skyline and Lake Superior as your backdrop. Or, wake up in a cozy bed and breakfast, each with its own charm, nestled in historic mansions or quaint cottages.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Duluth offers a range of camping options, from tents to rustic cabins, all close to nature’s best offerings.
In Duluth, every stay promises an adventure.
Historic Bed and Breakfasts in Duluth
Duluth, Minnesota, is a city known for its rich history and unique architecture. Visitors who are looking for a one-of-a-kind experience can stay at one of the many historic bed and breakfasts in the area. These charming spots offer a glimpse into the past while providing modern amenities and comfort.
One such bed and breakfast is The Ellery House, located in the East End Historic District. This Victorian home was built in 1890 and has been restored to its original beauty, complete with period furnishings and decor. Guests can enjoy a full breakfast each morning in the dining room before exploring the nearby attractions, such as Canal Park and Lake Superior.
For those interested in staying in a historic inn, the Fitger’s Inn is a must-see. Initially built in 1885 as a brewery, the building has been transformed into a charming inn with 62 unique guest rooms. The inn features a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, spa, and several restaurants and bars.
Unique Cabins and Cottages
Duluth, MN is home to some of the most unique cabins and cottages in the country. Whether you’re looking for a cozy retreat or a luxurious getaway, there’s a cabin or cottage that’s perfect for you.
One of the most unique options is the Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior. Inspired by traditional Scandinavian fishing villages, these North Shore cottages are tucked away in 40 acres of private woods south of Two Harbors, MN, with 1,300 feet of Lake Superior beachfront shoreline.
Each cottage is designed with a rustic yet modern feel, featuring amenities such as a fireplace, a full kitchen, and a private deck. Guests can also enjoy access to the resort’s sauna, hot tub, and outdoor fire pits.
Another great option is the Loon Lodge. This lakefront cottage is only feet away from the shores of Dowling Lake and can accommodate up to 15 guests. With seven bedrooms and ten beds, it’s the perfect place for a family getaway. Guests can enjoy amenities such as a fully equipped kitchen, a game room, and a private dock for fishing or swimming.
For a more unique experience, consider staying in a treehouse at the Cedar Valley Resort. These cozy treehouses are perched high in the trees and offer stunning views of the surrounding forest. Each treehouse is equipped with a full kitchen, a private bathroom, and a deck with a grill. Guests can also enjoy access to the resort’s swimming pool, hot tub, and hiking trails.
Luxury Hotels with a Twist
Duluth, Minnesota, is home to some of the most unique and luxurious hotels in the country. From historic mansions to modern boutique hotels, there’s something for everyone when it comes to luxury accommodations in Duluth. Here are some of the top luxury hotels with a twist that you should consider for your next trip:
1. Fitger’s Inn Duluth: Located in the heart of Duluth’s historic district, Fitger’s Inn is a historic hotel that has been beautifully restored to its former glory. The hotel features 62 luxurious rooms and suites, each with its own unique character and charm. Guests can enjoy a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, complimentary breakfast, and on-site dining options.
2. South Pier Inn: If you’re looking for a unique and romantic place to stay, South Pier Inn is the perfect choice. This boutique hotel is located on the shores of Lake Superior and offers stunning views of the harbor. The hotel features 25 cozy and modern rooms, each with its own fireplace and whirlpool tub. Guests can also enjoy complimentary breakfast and a free walking tour of the area.
3. The Cotton Mansion: For a truly unforgettable experience, consider staying at The Cotton Mansion. This historic mansion was built in 1908 and has been beautifully restored to its former glory. The mansion features six luxurious guest rooms, each with its own unique decor and amenities. Guests can enjoy a variety of activities, including hiking, biking, and skiing in the nearby area.
Houseboats on Lake Superior
For those looking for a unique and unforgettable experience, houseboats on Lake Superior are a great option. These floating homes allow visitors to enjoy the beauty of Lake Superior while having all the amenities of a traditional home.
One popular provider of houseboats in Duluth is Voyagaire Houseboats and Lodge. Their luxury houseboats come equipped with a full kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping quarters for up to 12 people. Guests can enjoy the stunning views of Lake Superior from the comfort of their own private deck.
Another option is Babbitt Timber Bay Lodge and Houseboats, which offers year-round houseboat rentals. Their houseboats come with a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping quarters for up to six people. Guests can enjoy fishing, swimming, and exploring the lake during the day, and then return to their cozy houseboat at night.
Houseboats are a great option for families or groups of friends looking for a unique and adventurous vacation. They offer the opportunity to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of daily life and immerse oneself in the natural beauty of Lake Superior.
* It is important to note that houseboat rentals require a valid driver’s license and a minimum age requirement of 21 years old. Additionally, guests should be comfortable operating a boat and following safety guidelines while on the water.
A Quirky Hostel
For budget-conscious travelers looking for a unique experience, hostels offer a great alternative to traditional hotels.
Hostel du Nord
Located in the heart of Duluth, Hostel du Nord offers affordable accommodations in a cozy and welcoming atmosphere. The hostel features private rooms as well as dormitory-style rooms with bunk beds, making it a great option for solo travelers, couples, and groups. The hostel also has a communal kitchen, a lounge area, and free Wi-Fi.
Rustic Lodges and Inns
Duluth, MN is home to several rustic lodges and inns that offer a unique and cozy experience for visitors. These accommodations are perfect for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse themselves in nature. Here are a few options to consider:
- Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior: This resort is inspired by traditional Scandinavian fishing villages and offers cozy cottages nestled in 40 acres of private woods. Guests can enjoy 1,300 feet of Lake Superior beachfront shoreline and take part in activities like hiking, kayaking, and biking. The resort also has a restaurant that serves up delicious meals made with local ingredients.
- Superior Shores Resort: This resort is located on the North Shore of Lake Superior and offers a variety of accommodations, including lodge rooms, suites, and cottages. Guests can take in the stunning lake views, relax on the beach, or explore the nearby hiking trails. The resort also has an indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna for guests to enjoy.
- Solglimt Bed & Breakfast: This charming bed and breakfast is located in a historic mansion and offers stunning views of Lake Superior. Guests can choose from a variety of rooms, each with its own unique character. The bed and breakfast also serves up a delicious breakfast made with local ingredients.
- Fitger’s Inn: This historic inn is located in a former brewery and offers unique and cozy accommodations. Guests can choose from a variety of rooms, including suites with lake views. The inn also has several restaurants and shops on-site, as well as a brewery where guests can sample local beers.
Unusual Vacation Rentals
Duluth, Minnesota is home to some of the most unique and unusual vacation rentals in the country. From treehouses to tugboats, visitors can experience a one-of-a-kind stay in this charming city.
One popular option is the Four Seasons Tree House in Morrison County. This two-bedroom, one-bathroom rental is situated on 50 acres of land and offers guests a hot tub, wireless internet, kayaks, a paddle boat, and a kitchenette. With a rating of 4.9 stars, this treehouse is a popular choice for those looking for a unique and comfortable stay.
Another interesting option is the Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast, located on the banks of Lake Superior. This historic lighthouse has been converted into a cozy bed and breakfast, complete with stunning views of the lake and surrounding area. Guests can enjoy a private beach, a hot tub, and a full breakfast each morning.
The Fitger’s Inn in downtown Duluth offers guests the chance to stay in a historic brewery complex. This complex includes multiple restaurants, nightclubs, shops, and a salon. The inn itself boasts unique rooms with exposed brick walls and views of Lake Superior.
Whether you’re looking for a treehouse, a lighthouse, a museum ship, or a historic brewery complex, Duluth, Minnesota has a unique vacation rental to suit your needs.
Duluth, MN is home to a variety of boutique hotels that offer unique and personalized experiences for visitors. These hotels typically have fewer rooms than larger chain hotels, which allows for a more intimate and personalized stay. Here are a few of the top boutique hotels in Duluth:
The Oliver Inn
The Oliver Inn is a boutique hotel located in the heart of downtown Duluth. The hotel is housed in a beautifully restored historic building that was once the city hall. The management has done an amazing job of preserving the building’s foundation and history while transforming it into a beautiful hotel. The Oliver Inn offers a unique and wonderful overnight stay experience, according to a guest.
The Fitger’s Inn
The Fitger’s Inn is a luxury boutique hotel that has been serving guests in Duluth since 1885. The hotel has individually styled suites, exclusive gastronomy, and a spectacular view of Lake Superior. The hotel has a small boutique feel and embodies peace, calm, comfort, and relaxation. The hotel has a historical significance that adds to its charm.
The Inn on Lake Superior
The Inn on Lake Superior is a boutique hotel that offers 105 comfortable rooms, some of which comprise an adjoining terrace and a balcony. The rooms come equipped with a microwave and refrigerators. The private bathrooms feature a hair dryer and bath sheets. The hotel is located in Midtown Duluth and is a great option for visitors looking for a boutique hotel experience.
Overall, Duluth, MN has a variety of boutique hotels that offer unique and personalized experiences for visitors. These hotels are a great option for travelers looking for a more intimate and personalized stay.
Duluth, Minnesota, is a city that offers a unique blend of accommodations for every traveler. From the charm of historic bed and breakfasts to the novelty of houseboats, from cozy cabins to luxury hotels, Duluth has something for everyone.
Whether you’re seeking the hustle and bustle of the city or the tranquility of nature, Duluth provides a variety of experiences that go beyond the ordinary. So why not make your next trip a memorable one?
Choose Duluth, where every stay is an adventure.